Sunday, June 19, 2011

Leaving 1 month from today! The preparations continue...

On the advice of various people I decided to cave and buy a new macbook for my time in El Salvador. My computer was on its last legs and it seemed to make more sense to buy the more expensive macbook (rather than a netbook or some other smaller, cheaper computer) because of its durability and lasting power. Now just cross my fingers it doesn't get stolen!

Something that I have not mentioned before - a couple weeks ago (just days after accepting my invitation to serve as a volunteer) I received notice from the Peace Corps headquarters in El Salvador that they are instituting a new policy for volunteers in the country - we have to live with host families for the full 2.5 years. I'm having very mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I am excited to be fully immersed in the culture, it will be much safer, and hopefully help stave off the loneliness. On the other hand, I am an adult, used to having my own space and privacy, and I have no idea what it means to be "living" with a family (having a bedroom in their house versus my own apartment attached to theirs?). I am hopeful that it will all work out, and I assume it will, since Peace Corps clearly knows what they're doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment