Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Preparations

I leave for El Sal in 34 days. There is a lot to be done before I go! This includes - buying appropriate clothing (skirts below the knees, lightweight shirts, sandals that are not flipflops), deciding if I need property or life insurance, alerting all credit companies and banks that I will be leaving, and most difficult of all: deciding whether or not to buy a laptop. Lots of volunteers already in El Sal who blog have laptops or recommend laptops. However, my macbook, which I have had since freshman year of college, is on its last legs and I am having a hard time justifying buying a new one for the Peace Corps (aren't I supposed to be roughing it?). I'm leaning towards just doing it, since that way I will have a computer I know and trust and will last reasonably well, and I will be able to hopefully get in communication fairly regularly...but we will see.

One luxury I did cave to is the kindle. I've had a hard time sleeping my entire life, and the kindle seems like it will make my bug infested (and whatever else) night-times in El Sal a little easier. Also, all books published before 1922 are free!!! Looks like I'll be brushing up on some classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment