Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Salvadoran birthday

For my first bday in El Sal my family got up and sang to me at 6 am. Then I spent the whole day at the training center where we learned about the STDs we may contract and then had a lecture on the economic development (or lack thereof) in El Sal. They were pretty depressing lectures. But after 3 current youth volunteers came in and did a panel with us, which was great. They were all super positive about everything and I’m excited to start working! It was also great to get back together with all the volunteers and hear how everyones weekend went. We all have such different communities. Some people have latrines and bucket baths. Overall, I think I am very very lucky with my placement in Tecoluca.

When we got home from training, my sisters and cousins (5 kids under the age of 8) had gotten me a penguin piñata. The piñatas here are hard – they have a wire spine rather than our flimsy ones in America, so everyone got to take a hit and it still took forever to break apart. The kids were very excited and I only got 2 pieces of candy haha. But it was a very fun and festive event.

Everyone is busy in Tecoluca preparing for the fiestas, which start on Sunday, and last for 10 days. Apparently the dancing goes on until 3 am – and the majority of it takes place on my street. Needless to say I will not be sleeping!

In other news, the heat wave here finally broke. Apparently the last few days have been abnormally hot (as in, you start sweating the minute you get out of the shower and have to change your underwear many times a day). Today was much cooler (aka 85 not 95), so if this is how the weather stays it will be muchhh better. 



bday pinata!

Tecoluca family

Candy madness

No comments:

Post a Comment