Monday, February 13, 2012

Time goes by

Not too much has happened since the All Volunteer Conference. Or rather, nothing as newsworthy. At the end of the conference I was left feeling dispirited and disenchanted with Peace Corps. However, I got back to my site the Friday after and was pretty much swept back into life here. I got to watch the Super Bowl with some other volunteers, which was really nice, even though the Patriots lost miserably. But since then, it has been business as usual here in Sunsulaca. I go to the school almost every day, I go to the clinic, I walk around. I've started doing art with some segundo ciclo kids (grades 1-3) in the afternoons. We're starting a volunteerism project at the school and I'm working with the water committee here in the town to apply for a grant to get funding to get a new water tank that would deliver treated, drinkable water to all of the houses in the community. Basically, things are going pretty well here.

There is still in the back of my mind the fear that PC El Salvador is going to get shut down. Every once in a while a sliver of news slips through to us and we all pick up our cell phones and gossip for a few hours. But we haven't heard much. Except, unsurprisingly, that the review will be starting a week later than planned (next Wednesday instead of this Wednesday). I think most of us have updated our resumes and started casting around the internet looking for back-up jobs (aka the quest for a job that will allow us to stay in central america but pay better and not require 9-5 hours). All in all, though, I am content here. I like my community a lot. They seem to have more of a need for a volunteer than Santa Paula did, so I feel like I can do some good here. I like my fellow volunteers, especially those who are located in Morazan. I'm ready to spend the next 19 months here working and playing. Now we just cross our fingers and hope we're allowed to ride it out!


This is one of my favorite songs here in El Salvador, and I've had it stuck in my head practically since my arrival. Today I finally figured out what it's called. Good day

Joey Montana - La Melodia

No comments:

Post a Comment